Frequently Asked Questions

Our Services Get in Touch

What is business car insurance?

When you get a quote for car insurance, the insurer will ask what you’re going to be using your car for. It’s important to answer this question honestly as otherwise you may find your policy won’t pay out in the event of a claim.

The car insurer will normally give you three options:

  • social, domestic and pleasure (SDP)
  • social, domestic and pleasure, and commuting (SDP & C)
  • business use (SDP & C and business use)

If you drive to different locations as part of your job and for business reasons, you’ll need to have business car insurance. Business reasons might mean:

  • driving to business meetings
  • travel between your company’s different sites or offices
  • journeys to clients’ premises
  • giving colleagues lifts to anything work-related
  • driving to work-related conferences or events
  • carrying out errands relating to your job

This type of insurance gives you extra cover compared to a standard car insurance, and will ensure your vehicle is covered at all times.

This is NOT Commercial car insurance. Commercial car insurance is for vehicles where driving is a key part of the job role. For example, you might be an Uber driver, delivery driver or driving instructor.

What is the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Scheme?

The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) helps employers make safer recruitment decisions each year by processing and issuing DBS checks (previously known as CRB , or criminal record checks). The minimum age at which someone can be asked to apply for a criminal record check is 16 years old.

The proviso to request DBS checks is prescribed in legislation and we will only request a DBS check on an individual when we are legally allowed to do so. Due to the business participating in ' regulated activity ', we are entitled by law to ask an individual to reveal their full criminal history.

There are four types of DBS check, and each type results in a DBS certificate being issued to an individual. Employers can then ask to see the certificate to ensure that they are recruiting suitable people into their organisation. We require and request an Enhanced DBS check.

A Standard DBS check is suitable for certain roles, such as a security guard. The certificate will contain details of both spent and unspent convictions, cautions, reprimands and warnings that are held on the Police National Computer, which are not subject to filtering.
An individual cannot apply for a standard check by themselves.

An Enhanced DBS check is suitable for people working with children or adults in certain circumstances such as those in receipt of healthcare or personal care. The certificate will contain the same details as a standard certificate and may also contain non-conviction information supplied by relevant police forces, if it is deemed relevant and ought to be contained in the certificate.
An individual cannot apply for an Enhanced DBS check by themselves.

What is the DBS Update Service?

The DBS Update Service is an online subscription, for Standard and Enhanced DBS checks, that allows applicants to keep their DBS certificates up-to-date and allows employers to view an applicant’s certificate.

The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Update Service allows:

  • applicants to keep their DBS certificates up to date
  • employers to check a DBS certificate

The service is for standard and enhanced DBS checks only.

You need to register for the DBS Update Service .

It costs £13 per year and you can pay by debit or credit card. There’s no charge if you’re a volunteer.

Right to Work

We are required by law to verify that, before you start as an employee, you possess the correct, verifiable and legal documentation that proves that you have the right to work in the United Kingdom.

The UK Home Office is the lead government department for immigration and passports, drugs policy, crime, fire, counter-terrorism and police.

Therefore, if you want to start working, you’ll need to prove your right to work in the UK. You might be able to prove your right to work online or by physically showing us certain documents. Any document you show must be:

  • valid (You can’t use a document that’s expired unless it’s a British or Irish passport)
  • the original document (You can’t use a copy)

However, if your document is expiring soon and you’ve applied to extend your leave, you can still prove your right to work. You might need to use a different document or ask us to contact the Home Office Employer Checking Service (ECS) on your behalf (This all depends what kind of leave you have).

From 6th April 2022, Biometric Residence Permits (BRPs) are unable to be used to confirm right to work. Individuals will need to prove their right to work online instead.

For more information: Citizen's Advice Bureau

Contract Types

The Employment Rights Act 1996 defines 3 main types of employment status, which define your legal status and as such, the rights you are entitled to.

1. Workers
As a worker, your work is not regular, you're employed to do the work yourself, you're not offered regular or guaranteed hours and you have very little obligation to make yourself available for work, but should do work you've agreed to.

The contracts we offer for workers include:

  • Casual or bank
  • Zero-hours
  • Permanent

2. Employee
You're more likely to be classed as an employee if:

  • your employer, manager or supervisor is in charge of your workload and how your work should be done
  • you’re required to work regularly unless you're on leave
  • you can expect work to be consistently available
  • you cannot refuse to do the work
  • you're employed to do the work yourself

3. Self-employed
You're more likely to be classed as self-employed if you:

  • are responsible for how and when you work
  • are the owner of a company or are a freelancer
  • invoice for your pay instead of getting a wage
  • get contracts to provide services for clients
  • are able to send someone else to do the work for you, if appropriate
  • are able to work for different clients and charge different fees

If you're self-employed you have some employment rights including:

  • protection for your health and safety on a client's premises
  • protection against discrimination
  • You do not have the same employment rights and responsibilities as employees or workers and you might be called a contractor.

For more information: ACAS (the Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service).

Homecare association
Information commissioners office logo
Nhs digital sdptoolkit standards met

Find Us

Doves Care Agency Ltd

11/11a Three Gables, Corner Hall,

Hemel Hempstead


© Copyright 2024 Doves Care AgencyWeb Design by Toolkit Websites